Karen Mertes always jumps at the chance to inspire groups with her story. She recently spoke at South University in Tampa to the graduating class. Here is a snippet from the letter that Campus President James McCoy sent her —
“Your story of overcoming life’s challenges was an incredible message to our graduates, who will all face challenges/adversity in the years ahead. Additionally, your message was a source of inspiration to so many and provided a road map of how we all should promote ourselves.”
Karen R. Mertes turned a life altering tragedy into a life purpose with her organization, Fulfill Your Destiny. Karen is a Lieutenant Colonel (Ret) from our United States Air Force, serving as the Squadron Commander in two back-to-back command tours as well as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of a $169 million dollar budget at an overseas base.
In 2007, Karen’s car was struck by a drunk driver traveling over 100 mph on I-75 resulting in Karen suffering a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Facing the consequences of this life-changing injury, this would be the genesis which led her to create Fulfill Your Destiny. Its signature program awards ‘Business Builder Grants’ to local entrepreneurs desiring to take their businesses to the next level.
Karen is a highly regarded Professional Speaker; Award Winning, Best Selling Author; Certified Entrepreneur, Leadership and Business Consultant all to benefit Fulfill Your Destiny. Karen is the creator of Fulfill Your Destiny’s annual premiere event, Spring Chari-Tea held each year in March.
Fulfill Your Destiny helps people whose careers have been altered by injury or other unforeseen circumstances. Special consideration is given to survivors living with a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
1) Keep People Working: To provide financial support to individuals whose careers have been altered due to permanent injuries or unforeseen circumstances, including, but not limited to traumatic brain injuries for the purpose of obtaining vocational counseling, educational or occupational retraining.
2) Inspire and Motivate: To educate others about those personal challenges facing any of us suffering injuries that permanently changes our lives. How we confront our challenges is the key to the core motto of Fulfill Your Destiny: Character Drives Destiny. We teach people that we are all defined by our character, which compels us to pick up the pieces and carry on when confronted with tremendous obstacles.
3) Build Awareness and Educate: To offer assistance – educational, financial, volunteer time and/or in-kind services directly to individuals and other non-profit corporations, to increase awareness of traumatic brain injuries and to support those who have experienced TBIs.
For more facts about National Brain Injury Awareness Month click here!
With our 2017 Chari-Tea event just a month away, we wanted to recognize that Fulfill Your Destiny’s 2017 Spring Chari-Tea is being presented by American Momentum Bank. Here are some facts about American Momentum Bank:
– American Momentum Bank is committed to providing financial momentum to those in the communities it serves.
– As one of this country’s strongest and most secure banks, American Momentum Bank offers innovative financial solutions, products, and services for businesses and individuals.
– American Momentum Bank has 15 full-service banking centers in Florida, including Tampa, Orlando, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Lakewood Ranch, Naples and Winter Garden.
– With total assets over $1.1 billion, American Momentum Bank’s strong capitalization, superior asset quality, and experienced management teams position it as one of the premier banks in the state.
Fulfill Your Destiny is so thankful for American Momentum Bank’s generosity and we are looking forward to another successful event in on March 25, 2017, at The Empress Tea Room from 2:30 – 5:00 PM.
We hope to see you there!