Do you have a friend or a family member that has just been in an accident and is now suffering from a traumatic brain injury? Here are some key points about traumatic brain injury —
- The effect of a TBI can vary depending on the severity of the injury and where it occurs
- Around 1 in 3 injury-related deaths involve a TBI
- Roughly 2% of Americans live with a TBI-related disability
- The majority of TBIs are caused by falls
- TBI symptoms may include confusion, persistent headaches and sleeping problems
- If someone receives a head injury and experiences convulsions or slurred speech, they should seek urgent medical attention
- A concussion is classed as a mild TBI
- In America, TBI is the third most common injury to result from child abuse
- Blood pressure can severely drop after a head injury.
Mertes suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in the accident. But she is more than a survivor. She has turned tragedy into triumph, helping others who have had their world shattered pick up the pieces.
Through Fulfill Your Destiny, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, Lt. Col. Mertes financially aids people in the Tampa Bay community whose careers have been altered by injury or unforeseen circumstances. Special consideration is given to those who have sustained a traumatic brain injury.
“Imagine if you could no longer do what you are trained and experienced to do today. What if everything you have worked for educationally and professionally was gone in an instant? This is my story. Following my injury and treatment, it became apparent I could no longer perform the work required of a military officer with a Top Secret clearance.”